Sunday 31 May 2015

SÖLDEN, ÖTZTAL, TIROL; HOCHSÖLDEN; MY FIRST OVERSEAS TRIP (1960); AUSTRIA



Where I 'learnt to ski' (a school trip to Austria in December, 1960) -
and where my "wanderlust' began?
Guernsey was my first offshore destination, in August, 1958
(and some other Channel Islands, Sark, Herm and Alderney).




Photos, Politzer

From "Mein schönes Ötztal".by Dr. V. Falkner, Innsbruck, 1947

Postcards Home:


A popular view (Lohmann-Photo)




Lohmann, Kajetan Fiegl and other photo postcards




It seems that I was much impressed by the scenery and that I found the skiing "smashing fun".
We stayed at the Hotel Pitze. An awful, sleepless and uncomfortable overnight journey on the train from Calais, through France, Switzerland and into Austria, after trying the "cheap duty-free booze" on the ferry (I'd made the mistake of buying a half bottle of rum). I found Austria "the most beautiful place you ever saw - green mountain rivers, fir trees, snow-capped mountains piercing the clouds and everything covered in snow". The food was less to my liking, "gherkins, raw cabbage - and olive oil and tape-worm soup with every meal" - and more such embarrassing, naive nonsense. 
We live and learn.


No, that's NOT me.

No comments:

Post a Comment