Sunday 19 February 2017

Greek Coastguard, Lesvos, 4.1 miles; Lesbos, 4.1 miles from Turkish Coast; Video; Refugees, Fact Sheet


Watch video. NYT Op Docs

Also on Vimeo

"A coast guard captain on a small Greek island is suddenly charged with saving thousands of refugees from drowning at sea, by Daphne Matziaraki".


"When I returned home to Greece last fall to make a film about the refugee crisis, I discovered a situation I had never imagined possible. The turquoise sea that surrounds the beautiful Greek island of Lesbos, just 4.1 miles from the Turkish coast, is these days a deadly gantlet, choked with terrified adults and small children on flimsy, dangerous boats. I had never seen people escaping war before, and neither had the island’s residents. I couldn’t believe there was no support for these families to safely escape whatever conflict had caused them to flee. The scene was haunting".



No comments:

Post a Comment