Monday 11 March 2013

Bristol: Early Roots

This posting will be of absolutely no interest to anyone else!

Ken and Nina, August 1937



August 1937


Wedding Day, 29 July 1938, St. Mary's Church, Stoke Bishop, Bristol;
the wedding reception was held at Bristol Zoo Pavilion, Clifton.

I was born in Clifton, Bristol, at Chesterfield Hospital, Clifton Court, 3 Clifton Hill.

Some photos of the hospital, which was started as a nursing home at Clifton Court in 1934 and now much changed, can be found here (pdf)

"The main house of Clifton Court and the stable block were built in 1742 for Martha Goldney and Nehemiah Champion II. Additional structures were added in the 19th century. The garden to the rear of the main house does not appear to have had any substantial buildings built upon it until the 20th century when the property was converted to a nursing home".

For the first eight years of my life we lived at 15 Rylestone Grove, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, off Parry's Lane. Pictures with my brother (I'm the short one):


Going to XIV School








Granny Bee in South Africa:



With my other granny, Rylestone Grove, June 1945


 'Uncle Hubert' (with car, below)



 Mr and Mrs Hubert Baker at 17 Rylestone Grove (21 April, 1938)
(my grandmother, living almost next door to us)




My father and mother, April, 1938

Here's an attractive modern folk song about Clifton, found on YouTube 

I went back to Bristol for a year in the late sixties (1968-1969) to study Film Production
as a postgraduate at Bristol University Drama Department. I lived in a small flat in Cotham Vale.

No comments:

Post a Comment