Wednesday 10 June 2015

1954: Rock 'n' Roll Really Takes Off - Another Seminal Year for (US) Music




Rhythm 'n' Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Folk Blues, Gospel, Skiffle...1954 - the year it all came together. A small selection of songs, by influential singers and musicians. What bliss to be alive back in the 1950's! Well, it wasn't all good (only in the sense of this Dylan song)


Howlin' Wolf, Forty-Four

Howlin' Wolf, You Gonna Wreck My Life

Muddy Waters, Hoochie Coochie Man

John Lee Hooker, Bad Boy

Big Joe Turner, Shake, Rattle and Roll

Bill Haley and the Comets, Rock Around the Clock

Bill Haley and the Comets, Shake, Rattle and Roll

Ray Charles, I Got a Woman

Ray Charles, Come Back Baby

Elvis Presley, That's All Right

Elvis Presley, Blue Moon of Kentucky

Elvis Presley, Good Rockin' Tonight

Carl Perkins, Honky Tonk Gal (recorded 1954)

Carl Perkins, Movie Magg (recorded 1954)

Lonnie Donegan, Diggin' My Potatoes

Lonnie Donegan, Rock Island Line


See also my posting on 1944

If I get round to it, I might make a selection from 1964, as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment