Wednesday 22 March 2017

Corfu Dawn, Vitsa Dawn; Sappho Distich



Morning


   Our songs must end, companions dear,
the east is bright and day is near.


Sappho
Lyra Graeca I, Sappho 65
Translated by Theodore Stephanides

from Sweet-voiced Sappho, Colenso Books, 2015

Available direct from the publisher, Colenso Books -
If you are interested, you can enquire about book sales at this email address:


colensobooks@gmail.com





Sappho's Leap, Lefkas:



"Let me return to Mytilene's fields
among the maidens whom, in other days,
I taught to dance before your holy shrine
and sing your joyous praise.

As once the ships of the Atridae sailed
from Ilium, saved by your protecting hand,
likewise, O Hera, guard me on my way
to my own native land".


From "Sappho in Exile", translated by Theodore Stephanides
from "Sweet-voiced Sappho", Colenso Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment