Sunday 6 September 2015

Green Back Dollar - The Song



My Virginian friend Christopher King recently drew my attention to some of the legends of old-time music. Amongst the gems he enabled me to discover was a version of "Green Back Dollar" by Ernest East and The Pine Ridge Boys:

Ernest East and the Pine Ridge Boys

Listening to this rendition made me look for other versions, all of which are wonderful in their own ways. The search took me right back to 1957, when I first heard the song, in a skiffle version sung by Nancy Whiskey and the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group.

Roy Acuff

Clarence "Tom" Ashley

The Armstrong Twins

The Blue Sky Boys

Woody Guthrie

Hank Williams

Foghorn String Band

Gene Vincent

Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with Nancy Whiskey



See also: Nice Time, 1957 - BFI, Britain on Film. Listen to Green Back Dollar at 7.20 (until 9.20 mark).







4 comments:

  1. That brought back memories. I remember the version by the Kingston Trio. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. which doesn't seem to be the same song....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's confusing. It is a different song.

    Hard to imagine a song about a British pound note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to think of it, the only song that comes to mind about the British pound is Dick Gaughan's version of 'The Pound A Week Rise' -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ube5-QQl4

    ReplyDelete