Sunday 2 April 2017

A Purposed Jumble - An Apparently Systemless System; Mark Twain



"Howells was here yesterday afternoon, and I told him the whole scheme of this autobiography and its apparently systemless system--only apparently systemless, for it is not really that. It is a deliberate system, and the law of the system is that I shall talk about the matter which for the moment interests me, and cast it aside and talk about something else the moment its interest for me is exhausted. It is a system which follows no charted course and is not going to follow any such course. It is a system which is a complete and purposed jumble--a course which begins nowhere, follows no specified route, and can never reach an end while I am alive, for the reason that, if I should talk to the stenographer two hours a day for a hundred years, I should still never be able to set down a tenth part of the things which have interested me in my lifetime".


Many bloggers try to follow the same approach:

"I shall talk about the matter which for the moment interests me, and cast it aside and talk about something else the moment its interest for me is exhausted".


No comments:

Post a Comment