Saturday 7 September 2019

CORFU: Books and Cricket Take Centre Stage at Corfu Literary Festival



Books and Cricket Take Centre Stage at Corfu Literary Festival, Paulina Kapsali, Greece is in the News






https://www.facebook.com/Corfu-Literary-Festival-A-celebration-of-culture-and-cricket-110199606976168/

On Facebook, see profiles of all festival guests.

Corfu Literary Festival. A celebration of culture and cricket.

"Introducing our CLF Guests: JIM POTTS"

 "Jim Potts, OBE, MA (Oxon), read English at Wadham College, Oxford, studied Education as a postgrad. at London University of Education, and Film Production as a postgrad. at Bristol University Dept.of Drama. He worked in international cultural relations and as a media consultant, 1969–2004; served in Ethiopia, Kenya, Greece, Czechoslovakia, Australia, Sweden and the UK. Produced educational and documentary films and television programmes in Africa; organized film training and script-writing workshops; edited the journal Educational Broadcasting International in London. Born in Bristol, Jim grew up in Somerset and now lives in Dorset. He is married to the Corfiot writer, Maria Strani-Potts (author of the novel, The Cat of Portovecchio, Corfu Tales). They come to Corfu and Epirus every year.

Q. You're in Corfu for this new Festival's second year. What is it that draws you to the island?

A. I’ve been married to Corfu for over fifty years, I have loved living on Corfu and I have returned to the island almost every year. We have many Corfiot friends; they are the kindest people in the world.

Q. There are lots of literary festivals. What is it that makes CLF special?

A. It must be unique. Much of my career has been involved with bringing British writers on overseas tours, to international writers’ festivals and book fairs. I prefer the more intimate environment of the Corfu Festival.

Q. Why are so many authors cricketers? Why is cricket the most literary sport?

A. As a former cricketer who peaked early, at the age of twelve, I’m not sure. I’ve written one poem about a cricket match (Fathers versus Sons). On the whole, I think cricketers are quite competitive, like many writers. I was always concerned about my bowling average (as a No. 11 slogger, I was usually bowled out for a duck). I have written an account of a six-a-side match in Addis Ababa, which coincided with the outbreak of the revolution in 1974. We played on, even though we could hear the sounds of a firing squad executing sixty members of the Emperor’s deposed government. I haven’t really played since then. My face was very badly burnt at that high altitude. I can’t take too much exposure to the sun; a shame, since I always loved the game.

Q. Will you be coming back next year?

A. Almost certainly to Corfu, and to the Zagori villages in Epirus, Both are like home from home. I love Greek islands and mountains".

From Facebook, Corfu Literary Festival pages.


Photo by Spyros Vangelakis, Stockholm


Back Cover Photo:


Tower of the Winds, Athens



No comments:

Post a Comment