Friday 1 February 2013

Maria Bonita and Maria Bethania (Agustin and Caetano)


The first time I heard this Agustin Lara song it was performed in our Maida Vale flat by Walter,a Venezuelan friend, a good singer and guitarist, and I really fell for the melody. Lara was a well-known Mexican composer.



 South American friends (Walter, Centre) 


The original Agustin Lara recording.

Maria Felix, Lara's inspiration

It  became a big hit in Greece, in various Greek language versions.
The first
The second

The English lyrics by Bobby Worth are hard to find.

Another favorite from the period when I listened to South American songs for the first time (beginning of the seventies) was Maria Bethania by Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso, who also sings Maria Bonita.


Veloso was living in self-exile in London at the time, and when I saw him live at the Portland Place International Students' Centre on  15 July, 1971; he delighted the audience by singing "London, London" , "In the hot sun of a Christmas Day" and "A little more blue" (if my memory serves me well). An unforgettable evening! He signed this album:





No comments:

Post a Comment