Saturday 12 October 2019

Poundbury, Prince Charles, The Future of the Duchy of Cornwall; Inside the Duchy



From The Telegraph (Hannah Furness)- How Prince Charles 'stuck to his guns' against 'endless criticism and carping and shouting and screaming'

On Poundbury:

“Everybody was against it,” he said. “Having seen what had happened in the past, land had been sold and a developer had come along and built in a way that I felt was no longer appropriate.

“I wanted to make sure we, that this time we did it in a more sustainable way.

“I was told it was completely uneconomic, so everybody was against it, from the treasury to everybody else. In the end I was determined to stick to my guns.

“I’ve gone on regardless of the endless criticism and carping and shouting and screaming, because I’ve always believed in the long term.

“I hope I’ll see the end of Poundbury [being built], because I want to be able to potter round on a stick in my dotage saying 'Gosh look at this'."

The first part of the documentary-  ITV at 9pm on Thursday, October 24.

Prince Charles: Inside the Duchy of Cornwall - Episode 1, ITV (YouTube)

Prince Charles: Inside the Duchy of Cornwall - Episode 2


Prince William:

“I’ve started to think about how I will inherit the Duchy one day,” Prince William tells tenant farmers. “Well rest assured I’m not going to rock the boat; I’ll do much the same as what my father’s doing.”

He joked: “I’m not so into the architecture that’s the only thing.”








"The Prince of Wales and the Duchy of Cornwall are creating mixed use communities that make it easier for those who live there to enjoy the body/mind/soul benefits and savings of living green...
There is more to be done in the ongoing efforts to green Poundbury. There are far too many commuters zipping down city centers that were designed for mixed use. Some folks, out of habit, still drive a few blocks for groceries or to the local pub".




No comments:

Post a Comment