Saturday 19 January 2019

On Brexit and Leadership Bids (OK what shall we do?)



When I was a teenager (around 14), I wrote this little piece of juvenile invective:



Leaders


Hypocritical political

Leaders. Breeders

Of contempt, exempt

From humanity;

Filled with insane

And empty vanity.

Only seeking in reality

Power, fame and private gain.


****

Last summer, on Corfu,  I was encouraging one of my grandchildren, aged 8, to perform this famous poem by Roger McGough (from Sky in the Pie, 1983, 1985). He recited it brilliantly, with a superb sense of timing, emphasis and facial expression.



The Leader 


I wanna be the leader

I wanna be the leader

Can I be the leader?

Can I? I can?

Promise? Promise?

Yippee I’m the leader

I’m the leader


OK what shall we do?



It would be very helpful if those bidding for political leadership of the government of the United Kingdom would tell us what it is that they plan to do, not just about Brexit - and without any hint of hypocrisy.

Roger McGough's poem should be quoted by the Speaker (and perhaps, under their breath, by the Leader of the Opposition and all Tory party leadership contenders)  - at every sitting of Parliament.












No comments:

Post a Comment