Follow by Email

Wednesday, 1 November 2017

EU Freedom of Movement and Residence, Summary of EU Legislation

A very useful summary


EU citizens with a valid identity card or passport may: 

*Enter another EU country, as may their family members - whether EU citizens or not - without requiring an exit or entry visa. 

*Live in another EU country for up to 3 months without any conditions or formalities. 

*Live in another EU country for longer than 3 months subject to certain conditions, depending on their status in the host country. Those who are employed or self-employed do not need to meet any other conditions. Students and other people not working for payment, such as those in retirement, must have sufficient resources for themselves and their family, so as not to be a burden on the host country’s social assistance system, and comprehensive sickness insurance cover. 

*Have to register with the relevant authorities if living in the country longer than 3 months. Their family members, if not EU nationals, require a residence card valid for 5 years.
*Be entitled to permanent residence if they have lived legally in another EU country for a continuous period of 5 years. This also applies to family members. 

*Have the right to be treated on an equal footing with nationals of the host country. However, host authorities are not obliged to grant benefits to EU citizens not working for payment during the first 3 months of their stay.

In addition 

*Family members may, under certain conditions, retain the right to live in the country concerned if the EU citizen dies or leaves the country. 

*EU citizens, or family members, may be expelled if they behave in a way that seriously threatens one of society’s fundamental interests.


UK has conceded on cut-off date for EU nationals, say Brussels sources, The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment