Saturday 15 January 2011

Bagehot and Nick Bryant on "The King's Speech"

I am going to see "The King's Speech" tonight. It's finally got down here to this neck of the woods.

This is Bagehot's take on the film.

It's a fascinating and original analysis of the film and the reasons for its success in Great Britain.

Update, 16.1.2011:

Having now seen the film in a packed provincial cinema, I would say that I didn't find the film unduly "flattering" to the British self-image, in the way Bagehot suggests it is, but strangely moving, on account of the very fine and convincing acting. As for anachronisms and absurdities, I let them go by, being quite willing to 'suspend my disbelief'. In fact, I didn't notice; I was too involved in the storyline and performances. I enjoyed the time-warp.

But I am grateful for the more thoughtful and considered analysis offered by Bagehot in The Economist and on his blog. I was just a typical Saturday night customer at the flicks, by comparison. It's great to get out and to see a good film on the big screen. Very satisfying!

Aljazeera comments too.

Update 3 March 2011: Nick Bryant on The King's Speech, Aussies and Brits.

No comments:

Post a Comment