Friday 9 July 2010

Kenyan Music



 
 Two photos copyright JP




 Two Luo nyatitis (left and right; Ethiopian masenko, centre)

Since I have started on the subject of past travels, here is an example of the kind of traditional music I used to love, listen to and record for educational films and television in Western Kenya. The instrument is the nyatiti, or painted bowl harp. I used to have several, and the leg and ankle bells to match. All in the Horniman Museum, along with the field recordings I made of  Ram Angira playing the nyatiti, and John Wambaya Matanda and Webhukulu Manonge playing the Luhja litungu. My litungu is also in the museum. I imagine that no one is allowed to touch it or play it there. Sad.

Central photo of nyatiti from http://www.joluo.ch/luo.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment