Follow by Email

Featured post

Corfu, Greece: Plous Bookshop, Tο Βιβλιοπωλείο Πλους φιλοξενεί ενα αφιέρωμα για τον μουσικό, συγγραφέα Raul Scacchi

Παρουσίαση Βιβλίου του Raul Scacchi  Tο Βιβλιοπωλείο Πλους φιλοξενεί ενα αφιέρωμα για τον μουσικό, συγγραφέα Raul Scacchi και το τελευ...

Follow by Email

Thursday, 22 July 2010

Albert Camus , The Outsider (L'Etranger) - Books that Made a Difference 2



"The Outsider" ("L'Etranger" or "The Stranger") really did 'make a difference'.

Camus is one of those writers to whom I return again and again, one of the few writers who captured the spirit of the Mediterranean, especially in his notebooks/diaries, short stories and lyrical essays (like "Summer in Algiers").

Here he is, reading from "The Outsider": the voice of  Albert Camus  

And a very short film that sums up his philosophy of the Absurd in 25 seconds!

I sometimes think that the suburb of Belcourt in Algiers must have had a lot in common with Mandouki in Corfu, as it was.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jim. For me it was the Myth of Sisyphus. It is especially resonant as I start on our new allotment ~ http://vimeo.com/13255339

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, The Myth of Sisyphus is my alternative favourite Camus work.

    I sympathise about the allotment. I felt like Sisyphus today on an uphill walk!

    ReplyDelete