Thursday 22 July 2010

Albert Camus , The Outsider (L'Etranger) - Books that Made a Difference 2



"The Outsider" ("L'Etranger" or "The Stranger") really did 'make a difference'.

Camus is one of those writers to whom I return again and again, one of the few writers who captured the spirit of the Mediterranean, especially in his notebooks/diaries, short stories and lyrical essays (like "Summer in Algiers").

Here he is, reading from "The Outsider": the voice of  Albert Camus  

And a very short film that sums up his philosophy of the Absurd in 25 seconds!

I sometimes think that the suburb of Belcourt in Algiers must have had a lot in common with Mandouki in Corfu, as it was.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jim. For me it was the Myth of Sisyphus. It is especially resonant as I start on our new allotment ~ http://vimeo.com/13255339

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, The Myth of Sisyphus is my alternative favourite Camus work.

    I sympathise about the allotment. I felt like Sisyphus today on an uphill walk!

    ReplyDelete