Tuesday 12 May 2020

Paul Potts, "The People's Poet", Instead of a Sonnet (1944). Sidewalk Orator




Broadsheet poems a penny each!

Not a relative, but a namesake...a tragic individual.

"Remember too, that this emigrating is of itself
Part of your own long silent heritage".

Dedication, to the memory of his father.

"If I had won fame, I would have used it, in defence of humble things and in the service of the rare".

From 'Dante called you Beatrice'.


From 'Instead of a Sonnet' (1944) :


“I have tried to leave forever in your ears 
The noise that men make when they break their chains” 


“I wonder poet, can you take it 
Alone out there among the hireling men”




A Somerset poem: 





This Christopher Barker portrait was published (in much higher quality)
in "Portraits of Poets", ed. Sebastian Barker,  Carcanet, 1986.
Highly recommended.


"My dreams
         Watching me said
        One to the other
                      This life has let us down."


"Paul Potts would be called a proletarian writer, but he is not a proletarian". George Orwell.



No comments:

Post a Comment