Wednesday 19 February 2020

William Haygarth, Greece, A Poem in Three Parts, 1814. The Pindus Mountains and the Sublime




Partly written in 1811


Summit of Mount Pindus


With what impatience do I spring to thee,  
Eternal Nature; how I love to steal 
From the rude jar and clamour of the world 
To thy retirement, where I may compose 
My ruffled brow, and lay my limbs secure, 
And listen to the blast which howls afar. 
O let me seek thy haunts upon the brow
Of Pindus, where thou dwell'st midst solitudes
Of stern sublimity: with slow, slow step.
Painfully press'd upon th' unyielding rock,
I scale its rugged steeps....there the pine
Stretches his giant limbs, scorch'd by the fires
Of Heav'n, and stands to guard yon narrow pass,
An aged warrior, cover'd o'er with wounds,


More illustrations:









No comments:

Post a Comment