Friday 14 February 2020

Dimitris Tsaloumas, The Green Ants and Autumn Supper







My favourite Tsaloumas poem is Autumn Supper.

Originally published in Falcon Drinking, UQP, 1988
Reprinted in Stoneland Harvest, New and Selected Poems, Shoestring Press, 1999



Tsaloumas' 'second writing' of the poem in Greek
 (the original was written in English):












About Tsaloumas

Other favourites:



More English language poems


The Pomegranate

from http://canarini.net/InAStrangeLand.html


Το ρόδι

Το ρόδι που λιμπίστηκες
αγάπη, αγάπη
χρόνος το δένει ασήκωτος,
νερό απ’ το γαίμα πιο ακριβό.

Μα στην αυλή μου οι γέροντες
το βράδι, βράδι
λένε πως ήταν άπρεπο
να θρέψω εγώ τέτοιο καρπό.

Στο σπίτι μου κουρνιάζει η απανεμιά,
στο νου μου νηστικός σπουργίτης,
μα στην αυλή μου γύφτισσα ροδιά
στολίζει ο αποσπερίτης.

Το ρόδι που λιμπίστηκες
αγάπη, αγάπη
άνθρωπος δεν το ζήλεψε
μια κι ό,τι απόχτησα φτηνό.

Μ’ απόψε για χατήρι σου
τ’ αηδόνι, αηδόνι
έβανα στ’ ακροκλώναρα
καθώς κοιμάται ν’ αγρυπνώ.

Στράγγιξα την καρδιά της μοναξιάς
κι ήπια απ’ της κάψας το πιθάρι
ως να γενεί στον κόρφο της ροδιάς
της πεθυμιάς μου η χάρη.

Μόν’ την αυγή περίμενε
ν’ αγιάσει αγιάζι
να πλύνει απ’ τ’ ακροκλώναρα
της σκοτεινιάς τ’ αραχνωτό.

Κι άμα μερώσει αμοίραστο
αγάπη, αγάπη
θα τ’ αρνηθώ στα χέρια σου
κι απ’ τη χαρά πιο φωτεινό.

                   Δημήτρης Τσαλουμάς


The Pomegranate

The pomegranate you coveted,
love, my love,
is bound by unliftable time,
water more precious than blood.

But in my yard the old men
in the evening, the evening,
say it was unseemly
that I should cultivate such a fruit.

In my house still winds roost,
in my brain a hungry sparrow,
but in my yard the evening star
adorns a gypsy pomegranate.

The pomegranate you coveted,
love, my love,
was envied by no one
since whatever I’ve had’s been cheap.

But for your sake tonight
a nightingale, a nightingale,
I placed on the outer branches
so I’d stay awake while it slept.

I squeezed every drop from the heart of loneliness
and drank from the urn of the sun’s heat
till at the tip of the pomegranate tree
there occurred the grace of my desire.

Only wait for dawn
and the hoarfrost to become holy water
that will wash from the outer branches
the cobwebs of darkness.

And when day comes I’ll do without,
love, my love,
and place whole in your hands
a pomegranate more brilliant than joy.

                   Dimitris Tsaloumas








No comments:

Post a Comment