Tuesday 20 November 2018

Neil Harris, RIP




A truly kind and wonderful man, an accomplished song-writer and musician, who always had time for everybody. There must have been around 150 people gathered to say farewell to Neil in Weymouth, and afterwards at Tom Browns pub in Dorchester.

This is the first song that was played at the celebration of Neil's life.

The second piece of music.



(Name of photographer not known to me)

Chris Kipper Roberts (above) was one of the many good friends, singers and great musicians who performed at Tom Browns, Neil's local pub. Neil will not be forgotten. A moving celebration and a fitting tribute for a great Dorchester man.

Tom Brown gave an outstanding and deeply-felt performance.

I was particularly moved by the blues sung by Hanni (Hanni and Roye, from Million Dollar Bash). Kipper invited me to join in for a short wailing solo on my blues-harp.

Neil loved the blues, as well as gospel blues.

With thanks to Joss and Sandra for letting me know. I hadn't heard the sad and shocking news. My sincere condolences. The last time I saw Neil was at Tom Browns pub on 14th September, on the occasion of his 70th birthday bash.

Dedicated to Neil, and in memory of a much-missed, free-thinking and admirable man:

Blind Willie Johnson- Let Your Light Shine On Me

Since I've Laid My Burden Down,  Mississippi John Hurt

Mississippi Fred McDowell - When I Lay My Burden Down

Mac Rebennack - Lay My Burden Down (featuring Mavis Staples & The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)


My own song, When you get to thirty-one

I started to sing this song (written when I was 31, working far away from home in Addis Ababa and Nairobi) - which I'd re-titled at the start of my own 71st year as "If you get to seventy-one", but I couldn't hear my little Taylor acoustic guitar properly (it sounded out of tune, or maybe it was the disconcerting feedback), so I gave up on this song. Kipper kindly lent me his superb guitar for "Midnight Special" and "Let your light shine on me" - both hopeful, uplifting songs.




















No comments:

Post a Comment