Sunday 29 September 2013

Matchboxes: The Origins of my Travel-Bug?


Before I entered my teens, I used to love beach-combing whilst walking the dog along the tide-line beside the Solent towards Warsash, collecting flotsam and jetsam, and matchboxes with labels from all over the world. Here are the labels from a few, thrown overboard from ocean-liners. Symbols of freedom and voyages to exotic places!









From "On the Origins of My Travel-Bug"


I think of Southampton.
Summer holidays.
Maybe it was
The matchbox labels
The exotic boxes
Washed up on the shore
From all over the world
With the flotsam and jetsam
From trawlers and transatlantic liners.
We walked the beach
To Warsash
Combing the tide-line,
Restless, curious.
Maybe it was those matchbox labels,
Or the boats forever leaving,
Those ships all setting out to sea
On voyages, mind-voyages...
The ships, lit up
Along their decks,
Waiting for their freedom.
Such an air of expectation!

***

Another variation on the same theme:

Matchbox Labels

I walk the beach
Beside the Solent,
As ocean liners come and go
(Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth!)
I know their flags, their draft, displacement.
I collect the jetsam
Thrown overboard,
Flotsam from the ends of the earth.
Matchbox after matchbox,
The labels show exotic places,
Strange languages and signs.

Once I found some old brass kit-
A navigator’s aid.
Beside the Solent
Something lit inside-
The burning need to travel.

”I ain’t got no matches
But I got so far to go-
Would a matchbox hold my clothes?”

***

No comments:

Post a Comment