Sunday 13 November 2011

The Saddest Song in the World; Ma Rainey, Grievin' Hearted Blues



My vote goes to Ma Rainey's "Grievin' Hearted Blues" (1927).

The sound reproduction is not great, but it's worth persevering.

Coming a close second, Henry Purcell's "When I am laid in earth" (Dido and Aeneas), sung here by Jessye Norman.

"When I am laid in earth, may my wrongs create
No trouble in thy breast,
Remember me, but ah! forget my fate".

Both singers were born in Georgia, USA, Ma Rainey in Columbus and Jessye Norman in Augusta.

Maybe Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind" should be my third vote. Ray Charles was born in Albany, Georgia.

(Other great singers  from Georgia include Little Richard, Clara Hudman (The Georgia Peach), and Otis Redding). Georgia Peach and The Harmonaires, great gospel song.

Let's have your votes for the saddest songs, please! Blues, Rebetiko, Fado,  Folk Song, Opera, what you will.


Ma Rainey beats all the songs on this list!

or this one

or this

Another list

Try Ma Rainey, "Dream Blues"

No comments:

Post a Comment