Sunday 6 March 2011

The Blues Roll On: 1) Papa George 2) Smokey Smothers

After countless years listening to the blues, it surprises me when I discover artists I've missed or never even heard before.

Last night I went to a great gig by the Papa George Band.

I particularly liked "Cleansing My Soul" and his bottleneck playing, as on "Rollin' and Tumblin".

Another recent discovery, a bit late in the day (he died on  July 23, 1993) is Smokey Smothers. That's Otis "Big Smokey" Smothers, as opposed to his brother "Little" Smokey Smothers, who died at the end of last year.


My daughter recently gave me a CD with recordings dating back to 1961 and 1962, Smokey Smothers Sings The Backporch Blues. Freddy King is playing with him. How did I miss it first time round?

Three songs by Smokey Smothers:

1   I've been drinking muddy water

2   I ain't gonna be no monkey man no more

3   Blind and Dumb Man Blues




I was also pleased to receive an appreciative comment on my  "Howlin' Wolf Tribute", which I also call "Wolf Tracks" on YouTube.

misskelseylou wrote "I'm lovin this jam. Great sound". Thanks Kelsey Lou! Fame at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment