Wednesday 9 June 2010

Punch and Judy Man, Weymouth








I must admit that when listening to The Yetties sing John Conolly's "Mr. Punch and Judy Man" last week, I found it a bit too mawkishly sentimental. I never really liked Punch and Judy (I much prefer Karaghiozis).

So I wasn't feeling very wistful when they sang that the Punch and Judy Man had gone forever.

The slot machines and penny arcades were a different story altogether!
They really did represent the childhood land of summer, especially in Weymouth.

I took a Corfiot friend to Weymouth today. Lo and behold, the Punch and Judy Man was back. He'd never gone away at all, it seems, although he may be one of the last to be seen at the seaside.

I was glad to see the show and the recently repainted statue of George III and his lion.

There was a fine example of English body art to be seen (spotted in the audience for Punch and Judy). With luck this lifesaver (and Punch and Judy) will still be around for the 2012 Sailing Olympics. I hope our foreign visitors will be duly impressed.








2 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. Really good.
    I always found P&J a bit weird and never liked Mr Punch's voice. But quite like the idea that it's completely politically incorrect.
    Off to Corfu in a few weeks' time, then catching the ferry to the mainland and going inland a bit for a week before heading down to the Inland Sea. Any recommendations on the mainland bit? We'll be exploring it by car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always recommend the Zagori villages, north of Ioannina, or exploring the Vikos Gorge if you like a little trekking (and if you have the right equipment). You shouldn't miss Dodoni (Dodona).
    It's all very different from Corfu.

    ReplyDelete