Wednesday 7 July 2010

Nostalgia for Australia (Aussie Doghouse Blues)





I spent seven wonderful years in Australia, mainly in Sydney. My sense of nostalgia is best expressed through this song by the late Slim Dusty, OBE: Camooweal. Should ever I go back to Australia, this is the song I'll be singing, although I've never been to Camooweal itself and I can't remember how much spinifex I've seen. But I did get round most of the country- and I did have the pleasure of meeting the great Slim Dusty.

The song I've always loved most from Slim's vast repertoire may be his least typical, a rockabilly version of  "Aussie Doghouse Blues"  (sorry, I can only locate my own tribute version with acoustic guitar). The wonderful original is available on the album "I haven't changed a bit". I have it on an old (1959) vinyl EP, signed by the man himself in 1996 (above). Since my first posting, I've found this version by Lee Kernaghan.




The other sound I deeply miss is the didgeridoo. 
It's still the most evocative music in the world, for me.

                                                                       G'day, Jim




 Uluru


Cape Leveque, West Australia





No comments:

Post a Comment